Unable to start Gnome

Clifford Snow glass-art at comcast.net
Wed Nov 26 03:18:10 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 02:41, Ted Kaczmarek wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 01:02, Clifford Snow wrote:
> > I can not start gnome when I log in from GDM.  I've been using gnome
> > with no problems since I upgraded to Fedora.  Today it hangs when I
> > attempt to log in.  Same for any user I try.  Everything else seems to
> > be working normally.  I can log into a kde session without problem Which
> > I assume means that X is working ok.
> >
> > I've tried removing (from a google search) gconf and orbit files in /tmp
> > without success.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Clifford
> Try creating a test user, and see if they can log in.
> If so, it is likely that something in ~/.gnome2 is your problem.
> Some packages can be a little cruel :-)
I tried creating a new user with no luck.  Finally after giving up using
KDE, I reinstalled Fedora.  It is a hassle trying to get things back the
way I like them.

I believe the problem has to do with changing the hostname.  I used the
command /bin/hostname to change the hostname.  What I should have used
is redhat-config-network.  Why gnome uses hostname is beyond me but it
will give an error message when gnome loads if the name isn't in
/etc/hosts.  The problem stems from using dhcp to get an ip address from
my isp.  If you don't explicitly set the hostname using
redhat-config-network and the isp doesn't provide on, it uses the mac
address as the hostname.

When installing Fedora you are asked for the hostname.  However, I still
had to run redhat-config-network to set the name.  I'm not sure what the
installer uses the hostname for since it didn't seem to set anything.

Clifford Snow