RSYNC Fedora

Eric J. Feldhusen efeldhusen at chartermi.net
Wed Nov 26 03:38:25 UTC 2003

On Nov 25, 2003, at 9:40 PM, Scott Burns wrote:
> Eric J. Feldhusen wrote:
>> Example,
>>
>> A computer with 4 - 100GB hard drives in a RAID 1 (mirroring), set up
>> a mirror with 2 hot spares. Total storage - 100GB, but you can have 3
>> drive failures and the system can keep running.
>
> In the event of two drive failures close together (second goes while
> rebuilding ), isn't there a small window of time that you'd only need
> to lose two to suffer complete data loss?  Would it be better to have
> 3 active with one hot spare?

Excellent point, yes it would. I use the example below in practice, I
tested the situation above in testing, but I wanted more storage space,
so for the production server, I went with the raid 5 setup.

>> A computer with 4 - 100GB hard drives in a RAID 5 (parity) set up, 3
>> drives are active in the RAID 5, 1 hot spare drive, Total storage
>> 200GB, actually a little less due to overhead. In this configuration,
>> one of the drives in the raid fails, the hot spare becomes active,
>> the raid rebuilds, and you replace the dead drive with a fresh drive
>> and this drive becomes the hot spare.  In this case, you can have 2
>> drives fail and the system can keep going.
>>
> Same deal as above, what happens if a second drive fails during
> rebuild?

I haven't had it happen yet, but "in theory", with the setup above, it
"should" continue to work, but you're really want to get another couple
drives in that machine fast.