RSYNC Fedora (Moving onto RAID...)

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 26 07:52:46 UTC 2003

Scott Burns wrote:

> Unless my terminology is wrong, it's only one RAID10 set, that is,
> multiple RAID1 sets making up a RAID0 stripe. RAID1+0 as I think some
> people call it.
>
> However, you are right in that there is no reason you can't make it a
> RAID1+5 with 10 disks or even 15 disks to give the same sorts of
> protection or better than the 12 disk RAID10.  I take the rant along
> the lines of "if you're going to the trouble, go with the best you
> can, and RAID5 isn't it".  This is why I'm interested in why other's
> have RAID failures and what they plan(ned) to do next.

Remember you should also have backups.. Many people make the mistake and
assume that RAID is a substitute for a good old fashioned backup.. So in
the unlikely event that you loose 2 disks in a RAID 5 array you should
still have the data availible on another source..

Personally I run RAID in Server A, B and C, rsync the important data
from Server A, B and C to Server D (also RAID) and from their backup all
the synced data to tape.. Server D does not have to be a big expensive
server either.. I use an old Compaq Deskpro P2 400 with lots of drive
space (enough for all the synced data anyway) and a DAT drive..

Don't know if that helps anyone..