syslog -r remote logging to /var/log/messages as well as configured log file

Matt Temple mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 26 19:46:55 UTC 2003

Lance Davis wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2003, Gene Delitzoy wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>I have a device logging to my server but it logs in /var/log/messages as
>>well as /var/log/pix.log.
>>here is my syslog.conf
>

>>*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none               /var/log/messages
>

> becomes
>
>  *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none:local6.none     /var/log/messages
>

>>local6.*                                                /var/log/pix.log
>>
>>What should I change so that it will only log to /var/log/pix.log.
>

> Regards
> Lance

Lance,

	Are you suggesting that all the logs coming into the server node from
the client nodes are coming in as local6?

	I've beeen looking around the net for people who've solved this problem
and never saw this mentioned.   The messages come over with the
node name first, but that's it, and they all wind up in the messages
file on the server node.

	There is a way to do this?

					mht
Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht at research.dfci.harvard.edu
44 Binney Street,  ML105      http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!