Fedora files bad

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Wed Nov 26 22:19:22 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:13:05 -0800, Chris Sparks wrote:

> Well I was able to get to some state of installation, however, I still
> don't have the booting working out yet.  I wanted to relay that I found
> the following files off of the CD or ISO image, whatever where bad:
>
> error: gawk-3.1.3-3.i386.rpm: MD5 digest: BAD
> Expected(a9c1f4707692bdc57792e47eaba2adde) !=
> (85100b0a659bf6bb6f6648b874ca2d2f)

-snip-

> I basically copied all the files from CD to Windows 2000 directory and
> then copied over to my new linux partition using the LAN.  I performed:
>
> rpm --force -ivh --root=/mnt/sysimage --allfiles *
>
> and had tried to redo the bad ones doing this:
>
> rpm --force -ivh --nosignature --nomd5 --root=/mnt/sysimage
> gawk-3.1.3-3.i386.rpm

What the heck did you do there?

1. Verify the MD5 checksum of the downloaded ISO images prior to burning
them to disc.

2. Verify the MD5 checksums of the burnt discs prior to using them.

3. Do not --force install packages which are corrupted.

4. Download the ISO images again until you have good copies. Use
rsync/ftp/http protocols, whatever works best for you.

5. When you want to send a new message to the mailing-list, do not reply
to an arbitrary one. Instead, compose a new one which doesn't disturb the
threading for us readers. Replies contain thread management information in
the message headers.