RAID options under Fedora

Seth Bardash seth at integratedsolutions.org
Wed Nov 26 22:58:13 UTC 2003

The firmware and the 3dm daemon software is proprietary but NOT
Linux O/S kernel dependant.

3ware updates these as required within days of a change and makes
them available on their web site.

->

We don't have any benchmarks for software raid for many reasons:

1) Software RAID requires the cpu to do 2 reads/writes for each
read/write the system does.

Most of our customers are using CPU cycles for file serving and
database functions and need all the performance they can get while
optimizing the RAID functions at a reasonble price.

2) If you would like to publish your software RAID benchmarks I'd
be interested in the numbers you get.

Please download and use bonnie++ and zcav (do a google search for
bonnie++) so we can compare apples to apples.

3) The components with the worst MTBF is the disks - same number
of them - pretty close to the same MTBF.

Lastly a properly designed, properly cooled and properly built
server or workstation will continue to function long after its
obsolete. If Reliability is designed in, then performance becomes
the issue if price is the same or close.

Seth