mounting iee1394 on boot

Graydon oak at uniserve.com
Thu Nov 27 03:43:48 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 10:01:02PM -0500, Graydon scripsit:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:10:34PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva scripsit:
> > On Nov 25, 2003, Graydon <oak at uniserve.com> wrote:
> > > However, on boot, the drive isn't detected until I manually run the
> > > rescan-scsi-bus.sh script in /etc/hotplug/ieee1394.
> >
> > See http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/snapshots/FC1-firewire/
>
> Thanks!
>
> This _almost_ works; neither version 2.2 nor 2.3 work from boot for a
>
> /dev/sde1               /backup                 ext3    defaults        1 2
>
> entry in /etc/fstab; if I use a 0 0 entry and run "/bin/mount /backup"
> from /etc/rc.d/rc.local it claims it works, though the partition isn't
> actually *there* until I unmount, and even when it is,

To be slightly more clear, the 0 0 fstab entry is also 'noauto'.

If I use an automounting fstab entry and follow the 2.2 instructions,
the device is detected but the boot process hangs on 'mounting local
file systems'.

There was a little bit of file system damage, readily fixed by e2fsck;
I'm not sure if it happened after trying the 2.2 or the 2.3
instructions.

It's the 2.3 instructions that looked like they worked but didn't; got
all the way through the boot process, /backup in the table returned by
'mount', but not an accessible drive.  (which may mean that the file
system damage happened while trying to boot under the 2.2 instructions
and the 2.3 version would work with a clean disk; will try that tomorrow
night sometime.).

--
oak at uniserve.com | Uton we hycgan    hwaer we ham agen,