Tuxracer on Fedora - SLOW!

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Nov 27 11:57:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 11:42, Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 12:14, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 11:09, Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> > > No, he means that you haven't installed nVidia's 3D accelerated drivers
> > > for linux. The ones which comes with XFree86 (which are the ones you're
> > > currently using) have crap 3D performance.
> > > See the FAQ: http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#nVidia
> >
> > The FAQ should mention why this happens:
> >   Q: Why are they crappy?
> >   A: They're not exactly crappy, 2D works quite well.
> Thus, I specifically said _3D_.

I didn't reply directly to your 'crap' reference, but to a more general
reference,

> >      NVIDIA is not helpful towards Free Software and will not help
> >      developers with specifications which would result in 3D drivers
> And ATI is any better?

WAS much better than what it is now. That's why I bought what already
was an old card, but I could afford it and there was enough specs to
have 3D working.

> >   Q: What do I loose if I choose to be dependent on NVIDIA:
> >   A: Freedom, support from many Linux developers, probably the ability
> > to view some DVDs, etc...
> > All the faq does is explaining how to have 3D with NVIDIA's drivers,
> > without even hinting at why this happens and how bad it is.
>
> What on earth are you getting at? Try getting a laptop with ATI Mobility
> M6 or M7 chips to run X properly and you'll see that ATI is no better in
> this regard.

We're talking about NVIDIA, not about ATI. But I think that ATI should
also have a dishonourable mention, specially with recent chipsets.

> nVIDIA have supported (supported in the sense of _provided_, not in the
> sense of _open source_) 3D drivers for linux for far longer than ATI.
> IMHO nVIDIA's unified driver architecture is a far better alternative
> than ATI, but that's just me.

Try getting support from NVIDIA about mysterious kernel oopses, because
virtually no Linux developer will help you much because you have a
tainted Linux, even if the oopses might not be related to the card.
There's always the doubt.

What NVIDIA does is not support, but binding (much like 'the one ring',
it gives you an interesting power, but holds in their domain).

> You personal grudges have no place in a FAQ. Neither does my own.

I'm truly sorry you can't distinguish truth, fairness and completeness
from personal grudge.

I wouldn't buy a recent ATI card today, just so you understand I'm no
ATI fan-boy either.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?