Yet another email about upgrading to Fedora

Jason Corekin jason at corekin.no-ip.com
Thu Nov 27 21:29:35 UTC 2003

Marc,

Thanks for the advice. I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to reply but
I've
been and still am working on my finals for this quarters college courses.

As to the use of my router as a DHCP server, that would work great if my
router had the ability to work with the dynamic DNS service that I still
plan to put up to aid in name resolution for our private network.  You see
we tend to add and remove different machines, such as ones from work or
friends, and the ability to just plug into the network and instantly have an
ip-address with a registered dns name based off of what the machine is
already named is very helpful.  Also this network tends to be what I use as
learning platform for what I for what I am trying to do career wise, and
therefore is implemented in a manner that whenever possible corresponds to a
corporation level network rather then a simple home network.

Beyond that I am also working to make and improve the ease of manageability
of the server for my mother who has a lot of experience with Windows server
management, but is just starting to learn how to manage Linux.  That said
the
more that I can keep the server managed via a graphics console the better.
Hence as much as I would like to see the significant performance
improvements that could be brought about by removing X, this is not
feasible.
The best that I have been able to do is to keep X a the login screen when
it's not
being use (where it should be anyways), which minimizes it's resource usage.
I have  also been able to implement the use of web based tools such as SWAT
which should not use any resource other then disk space unless they are
actively
being use, but significantly improve the ease of manageability for the
server.  If
you or anyone else has any other suggestions that I could use to improve
this
performance versus ease of manageability balancing act, I would greatly
appreciate them.

As for the other info about both Apache and Samba, thank you very much, it
greatly improves my confidence in this upgrade scenario.

Jason Corekin