Compile perl script on Fedora (perlcc)

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Nov 28 09:17:13 UTC 2003

Yanick Quirion wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a new system running Fedora. I want to compile simple perl script
> using perlcc. The compile process complete successfully with couple of
> warning, but when I ran the compiled program, it give me a core file.

perlcc is badly broken, and in fact has never really worked properly.
This has nothing to do with Fedora, it's a perl issue and the same thing
happens on all platforms.

If you want to compile a Perl script you should use the "pp" tool which
comes as part of PAR (http://par.perl.org/).

To install PAR (or any other Perl module) on your machine use the
following command:

perl -MCPAN -e 'install PAR'

You will have to answer some questions the first time you use this (the
defaults are usually OK), and then you should be good to go.