Prelinking

David Cornish mail at davidcornish.com
Sat Nov 29 11:55:44 UTC 2003

> Could anyone give me summary of prelinking?
>From the Fedora core release notes
(http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/)

"Prelinking is now enabled by default on Fedora Core 1. Prelinking reduces the
time taken by the dynamic linker when starting programs. It does this by
performing some of the dynamic linker's tasks ahead of time, and is done on a
regular basis via cron. The current prelink behavior is controlled by the
/etc/sysconfig/prelink file."

More info can be got from "man prelink" (also available from
http://handhelds.org/~pb/prelink.8.html)

> What are advantages /
> disadvantages of disabling prelinking?

Gentoo's pages on Prelinking give some of the advantages of and problems with
prelink:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/prelink-howto.xml