Tripwire cron line change question

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 30 03:33:54 UTC 2003

> From: Keith G. Robertson-Turner <redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk>
> tripwire-2.3.1-18.rhfc1 has now been submitted for QA.

Thank you....

For tripwire (-17) I have been tinkering with redirecting standard
error in /etc/cron.daily/tripwire-check so redundant messages like:
	### Warning: File system error.
	### Filename: /sbin/fsck.minix
Result in a single entry at the end of the report file thus:
	2.   File system error.
	     Filename: /sbin/fsck.minix
	     No such file or directory

The change I made in /etc/cron.daily/tripwire-check is.
Was:
  test -f /etc/tripwire/tw.cfg &&  /usr/sbin/tripwire --check
Now is:
  #test -f /etc/tripwire/tw.cfg &&  /usr/sbin/tripwire --check
  test -f /etc/tripwire/tw.cfg &&  /usr/sbin/tripwire --check  2> /dev/null

What larger set of troubles might this generate and what errors am I
blindly tossing once tripwire is correctly setup and running?  So
far I like the result and tripwire does the right thing as far as I
can tell.  i.e. am I doing something stupid?

Regards,
TomM