less and LESSCHARSET=latin1 and scandinavian chars are &

Jani Ollikainen k0001744 at evtek.fi
Sun Nov 30 17:20:56 UTC 2003

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 11:02:55AM +0200, Mauri Sahlberg wrote:
> > ($:~) echo "åöä hi mom" >moreisless
> By default you are echoing utf-8 characters, that is characters with
> two-byte representation to a file and LATIN-1 is charset with one byte
> characters.

Not really, i was a little bit drunk so forgot to mention my locale
settings:)

($:~) locale
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE=fi_FI at euro
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE=fi_FI at euro
LC_MONETARY=fi_FI at euro
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=

So they should be only one byte characters.

> Remove LATIN1 or use LANG=fi_FI at euro as your locale.

Ok.

($:~) export LESSCHARSET=""

($:~) less moreisless
åöä hi mom

It works.. So ok, but i don't get to logic in this..
RH7.3 did need that and now that isn't needed with same locale settings.

ps. very annoying to speak two languages at the same time..

--
 Jani Ollikainen   http://iki.fi/bestis/