The more I read the confuser I get.

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Sat Nov 1 23:36:19 UTC 2003

> People know that it's been a long, free lunch with Red Hat Linux for
> years.

I'm pretty embarassed that there's a (hopefully small) group within RedHat
that seems to see it that way. RedHat has benefitted from the community
just as much as the community has benefited from RedHat. Sure, they
deserve to make a profit just like any other business. But when Mat Szulik
gets up on the stage at LinuxWorld and pontificates about how great it is
that we all support the Open Source community, and then the company turns
around and tells me to pay up for the free lunch I've been taking from
them, I just want to spit in their face.

I've spent most of my *LIFE* over the last ten years installing, patching,
coding, maintaining, upgrading, teaching and learning about Linux, mostly
on RedHat's platform. It's gone from a hobby to the *thing* that pays the
bills and puts food in my Son's belly. I *AM* the community that helped
get RedHat where it is now.

I don't mind paying for the support and the services. That's how I make
my money and naturally, I expect that that's how RedHat should make
theirs. I was pretty excited to see RedHat take the community approach
once they realized they couldn't keep up the pace of development and still
remain profitable (among other reasons). I figured that they'd pushed it
as far as they could and it was our turn to contribute. I'm dedicated to
Fedora (currently focusing on Fedora Legacy) and look forward to what the
future brings.

Like the previous poster said, now that RedHat has made its move, small
businesses (like mine) and *.edu are taking it up the ass. That's pretty
much life and I'm willing to accept that without complaint. RedHat needs
to be reminded though that it's in poor taste to throw it back in our
faces telling us to "pay up or shut up".

-Chuck

--
Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Open Technology
   * Education			| -=^ Ad Astra Per Aspera ^=-
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com

A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to right.