[OT] Red Hat Linux Migration

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Mon Nov 3 18:46:01 UTC 2003

hi,

As is necessary to register to see this and a lot of people last month
was interested in migration issue, I am going to copy it here:

General information about migration: http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/

--cortamorena--

           - FAQs for Red Hat Linux Migration[1] -

 With Red Hat Linux 7.x, 8.0 and 9 end of life approaching soon and the
 introduction of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and the Fedora Project,
 there will also be some significant changes to Red Hat Network for Red
 Hat Linux channel subscribers.

 We value you as a Red Hat Network and Red Hat Linux customer and would
 like to ensure your migration to another Red Hat solution is seamless.
 For this reason we've created an FAQ to help you understand the upcoming
 changes to your RHN subscription and to help you decide which Red Hat
 solution is right for you.

 What happened to Red Hat Linux?

 Red Hat listened to feedback from our customers and created a product
 strategy that supports the needs of enterprises and the Linux and Open
 Source community. In the past there was only one Red Hat Linux product
 to serve both large customers running mission-critical applications and
 individual enthusiasts. In 2002 we created what's now known as Red Hat
 Enterprise Linux. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is designed with an emphasis
 on long-term stability, reliability, and scalability. It has a longer
 release cycle and product support, and is certified by leading independent
 hardware and software vendors.

 The Fedora Project was introduced in late 2003. Built for and with the
 help of the open source community, the Fedora Project is for developers
 and high-tech enthusiasts using Linux in non-critical computing environments,
 and for people interested in active participation in the development process.

 To learn more about the differences between Red Hat Enterprise Linux,
 The Fedora Project and Red Hat Linux, visit the Red Hat Linux Migration
 Resource Center[2].

1) Will Red Hat Enterprise Linux be made available on Red Hat Network?

 Red Hat Enterprise Linux will be available on RHN. The purchase of any Red Hat
 Enterprise Linux subscription includes an RHN Update Entitlement, giving you a
 year's access to updates, errata, security patches and new releases via RHN.

2) How can I migrate to Red Hat Enterprise Linux today?

 To help alleviate the time and financial investment spent in migrating to
 another Red Hat solution, Red Hat will be providing loyal RHN customers
 50% off the purchase of up to 10 units of Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS and
 ES Basic editions through February 29th, 2004. Customers who take the
 opportunity to migrate now will also be able to renew their second year's
 subscription at  the same price. Third year renewals would take place at
 standard price.

 For customers looking to purchase these subscriptions with a Red Hat Network
 Management Entitlement, these are also available with a 50% discount. You can
 only purchase these products at their discounted prices through the RHN
 purchase page[3]. If you are interested in purchasing any of the other versions
 of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, or if you would like to purchase in excess of 10
 units you can call us at 1-866-273-3428 x 45020.

 To learn more about the special pricing exclusively for RHN customers, see below.

3) What happens to my paid RHN subscription if it expires after April 30, 2004,
   (the end-of-life date for Red Hat Linux 9)?

 Customers whose paid RHN subscription expires after April 30 will receive a
 complimentary evaluation ISO and channel access for Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS
 [4] for the remainder of their subscription. These customers also have the
 opportunity to take advantage of the 50% discount currently available on
 migrations to Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES or WS.

4) When will the complimentary evaluation copy of Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS
   be available?

 The channel will be opened March 1, 2004. Users whose account expires after
 April 30, 2004 will be able to access the complimentary evaluation of Red Hat
 Enterprise Linux WS from March 1, 2004 until the end of their subscription.

5) What if I would prefer to migrate to a Red Hat Enterprise Linux solution
   other than WS?

 To better understand the Red Hat Enterprise Linux solution best suited to your
 needs, see the Red Hat Migration Center[2].

 In addition, Red Hat is offering special pricing on selected Red Hat
 Enterprise Linux solutions exclusively for Red Hat Network users. Please see
 above (#2).

6) What happens to my Demo Subscription when the channel I am using reaches its
   End of Life date?

 Demo accounts will continue to have access to the channel until the channel is
 taken down.

7) How long will the Red Hat Linux channels be available for downloading errata?

 Channels will remain open at least six months past the end-of-life date. For
 example, Red Hat Linux 9 users will be able to access errata on RHN until at
 least Oct. 31, 2004. However, no new errata will be posted to the channel after
 the end-of-life date, April 30, 2004. For this reason, Red Hat recommends you
 visit the Red Hat Linux Migration Resource Center[2] to gain a better
 understanding of your migration options.

8) If I choose to migrate to the complimentary evaluation of Red Hat Enterprise
   Linux WS, can I simply upgrade my OS?

 Use of Red Hat Enterprise Linux requires a full reinstall from Red Hat Linux.
 There are a full set of migration whitepapers and best practices available
 for download at the Red Hat Linux Migration Resource Center[2].

9) Will my RHN subscription automatically renew when it expires (as it has in
   past years)?

 Beginning 11/03/03, Red Hat Network will not be automatically renewing
 subscriptions. Customers whose accounts expire on or past this date will be
 notified of their migration options via email.

10) What if I would like to purchase a Red Hat Network Entitlement after today?

 Red Hat Network will continue to allow customers to purchase RHN Update
 Entitlements. However, customers purchasing after 11/03/03 will only receive
 a subscription through April 31, 2004 and will not have access to the
 complimentary evaluation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. For this reason, Red
 Hat will be lowering the price of these subscriptions to $20. For more
 information, see the RHN Purchase Page[3].

12) What do I need to know about the special migration pricing for selected Red
    Hat Enterprise Linux solutions?

 In addition to the information provided above, there are a few more things we
 would like users to know about the discount offerings.

 Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a subscription offering, renewable one year after
 date of purchase. All Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscriptions bought through
 this special offering will be purchased at 50% off for the first year, and
 will also renew for the second year at 50% off. In the third year the
 subscription will resume at standard price.

 This special Red Hat Enterprise Linux pricing can only be obtained from Red
 Hat Network[3] and is not available through any other channel or purchase method.

 On Red Hat Network, we are also offering an additional special feature.
 Customers purchasing Red Hat Enterprise Linux will also be able to purchase RHN
 Management Entitlements[3] bundled with RHEL for 50% off. These offerings can be
 found on the Buy Now page[3].

 RHN customers requiring more than 10 Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscriptions can
 visit the Red Hat Linux Migration Resource Center for information on how to
 reach a Red Hat representative in your area.

If you have further questions or feedback, please contact us[5].

[1] http://rhn.redhat.com/help/rhlmigrationfaq/
[2] http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migrations/RHL/RHN
[3] http://rhn.redhat.com/network/sales/landing.pxt
[4] http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/ws/
[5] http://rhn.redhat.com/help/contact.pxt
--end--

--
HTML mails are going to trash automagically