Several questions

Wade Hampton wade.hampton at nsc1.net
Mon Nov 3 20:35:21 UTC 2003

Hans Deragon wrote:

> Kai Thomsen wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:31:43 -0500, Wade Hampton wrote
>> a strangely formatted posting:
>>

>>> 2.  Will Fedora finally fix the RPM lockup problem?  With RH 8 and
>>> 9, sometimes RPM will just seem to hang and never return.  I
>>> occasionally
>>> have to kill -9 the rpm process then rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*.  I NEVER
>>> had problems like this with RH 7 and the older RPM (which also seemed
>>> much faster).
>>

>> On my RHL 9 machine, I haven't had those problems since upgrading to the
>> new version available on <ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/test-4.2/>.
>

> I still have this problem once in a while with RPM 4.2, release 0.69.
> A serious problem when you count on RPM to update patches
> automatically from a cronjob every night on hundreds of hosts.  If
> some hosts get their RPM database screwed...  you get the idea.

I just updated my rpm to the test version:
    ftp://people.redhat.com/jbj/test-4.2.1/
then:
    rpm --initdb
    rpm --rebuilddb

It seems OK at this time.  I'll post if I have any more
crashes (of course, that could be never, next week, or
tomorrow).

> Unfortunatly, I never got the problem reproduced systematically, thus
> I never opened a bug report on this.

I have reported it several times, starting with RH 8.  RH 7.x's RPM was
very stable and NEVER had such problems.  Come to think of it, I've been
using RH since the early 4 series (Caldera and slackware before that) and
never had RPM problems until 8 came out.

Cheers,
--
Wade Hampton