eol rh9-ximian and fedora...?

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Nov 3 21:10:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 15:47, Tim Kossack wrote:

> i guess that red hat has regular talks with ximian, so i ask at this
> list. besides, i've not subscribed to any ximian-list (because i've
> already subscribed for too much lists for my mail-account, and had to in
> fact reduce traffic-cancel subscriptions), and many users have xd2
> installed on rh9, so someone of them subscribed also to a ximian-list
> might know.

that's a fine theory and all, but honestly, you won't get many good
ximian-related answers here.  most of the people here are using fedora,
not rh9+ximian.  *only* ximian knows what ximian will do, so only they
can answer.  all you can get here is speculation, if anything.  ;-)

> but anyways, did i understand you correctly that i get the rh9-related
> fixes/updates from a ximian-channel, but that they get those updated
> packages from red hat? otherwise, your comments wouldn't make sense to
> me.

yes, of course ximian uses the redhat rpms.  they don't use your rhn
account tho, ximian provides copies of the redhat rpms on their own
red-carpet mirrors, which are installed using the red-carpet system, not
rhn.  ximian has not and, likely, will not provide any packages for rh9
or any other supported distro save the xd2 packages they normally
provide.  if you want continued rh9 support, ximian isn't the place to
look.  browse the archives of this list for posts on individuals/groups
providing security errata for rh9.

> but thx.
>

> --
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.