upgrade from rh8

Timothy John Giese giese025 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Nov 4 01:08:45 UTC 2003

Peter Ashford wrote:

> I was looking for info about upgrading RH8 to Fedora.  I looked around
> the Fedora site, but couldn't find what I was loolking for.  Is there
> a faq or tutorial somewhere which covers this?

To be honest, I haven't upgraded to Fedora yet, but Anaconda (the Fedora
installer) *should* recognize that you have an existing installation and
give you the option of either upgrading from an existing RedHat
installation or perform a new installation.

If you keep your home directories in a partition (e.g., a /usr/people
mountpoint) separate from the actual OS (e.g., /), then you could
probably get away with having Anaconda reformat the / partition without
touching the /usr/people partition and perform a fresh install on /.

-Tim