Visual Effects industry and RH

Brent Fox bfox at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 19:06:25 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 11:38, Will Mendez wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I would like to know how Red Hat intends to deal with it's customers in
> the visual
> FX industry such as ILM, DreamWorks, Mainframe, etc which currently use
> RH 7.2 and above.
>
> Are they forced to upgrade to a RH enterprise or wing it and go to
> Fedora?

It depends on what you mean by "forced".  There is a difference between
being forced to make a choice and being forced into having no choices at
all.

So in one sense, yes, the end of Red Hat Linux is forcing users (not
just visual FX people) to choose between a) migrating to RHEL, b)
migrating to Fedora, c) migrate to something else, or d) continue
supporting RHL through community projects such as Fedora Legacy.  But
each person is free to make the choice that best suits their needs.

> Also why would Red Hat push perspective customers towards Windows?
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39117575,00.htm

Matthew isn't encouraging people to dump Linux and install Windows.
Rather, he is giving an honest representation of the current state of
the consumer desktop market.

Take an honest look at Linux vs. Windows XP in terms of hardware
compatibility, games, multimedia, OEM preloads, and ISP support and see
if Windows doesn't currently win in each of those categories for the
non-technical home user.

Linux still has a long way to go but we're making progress and we'll get
there eventually.  IMHO, that's all Matthew was saying.

Cheers,
   Brent