hoax or bad taste joke by Redhat's CEO?

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed Nov 5 18:11:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, LoBue, Mark wrote:

> "checkbook".  Is there any software that will directly connect to my bank's
> website and download transactions the way Quicken does?  How about the
> American Express and Discover sites?  Quicken does that.

Market forces.

Having just ranted against closed source DRIVERS (note the emphasis),
I don't see anything wrong with commercial software packages.
If enough of you and your friends get together and offer to pay
$$$ for a package to do that, it will appear.
Same as Quicken - someone had to sit down and write it and sell it.
(sorry if I'm talking twaddel and Quicken is free as in beer.
But I don't think it is).

Heck - write one yourself. Start with Perl screen scraping code.