Will there be a mailing list and web page for security updates and bug fixes?

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Wed Nov 5 21:24:28 UTC 2003

Hoehn, Jacob wrote:

> I just read about Red Hat's announcement today and I'm trying to
> decide whether I should move to Fedora or use a different distribution.
>

> The main concern I have is will there be a mailing list and a web page
> for security updates and bug fixes? I used Red Hat's web page
> https://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/index.html and the
> corresponding mailing list a lot. I don't use up2date and instead
> install the rpms myself after reading about the bug/security fix.
>

> How cutting edge is this distribution going to be? I'm more interested
> in stability than being on the cutting edge.
>

> Thanks.

Yes, there is a mailing list (where was that?)

There are apt/yum/up2date repositories for patches and updates.
So you can write a quick cronjob that will check for available updates
and alert you with the method of your choice.
You can use apt/yum/up2date to just "LIST" available updates without
actually installing them.
You can also use apt/yum/up2date to download packages without installing
them.

Packages almost always have release notes and change logs in them so you
can see what has changed over time.

With regards to "stability" there are two different ways to interpret
that, stability in that it doesn't crash, and stability
in that the compatability of the binaries and code doesn't change over
time.

As far as "crash and bug resistant" I think Fedora will be as good as
RedHat linux was.
But with regards to a stable code base and binary compatability over
time, Fedora will be much less stable than
RedHat 7.3 or 8.0 was (for example).