what cd download ? Jargon busting.

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Thu Nov 6 16:25:08 UTC 2003

On Thursday, November 6, 2003, at 11:02  AM, John Abbott wrote:

> Dave,
> Being an aging newbie that has struggled through CP/M, DOS 1-infinity,
> Polyforth, way too many assembly codes, Fortran, Cobal, C  and now
> Linux I find that it all blurs.  I would be in full support of your
> project.   I've been trying to figure out what ISO actually stands for
> - knowing that it is an Image that's burnable - but whats the O?

ISO is not an image that is burnable; it is the "International
Organization for Standardization."

But ISO standard ISO 9660:1988 entitled "Information processing --
Volume and file structure of CD-ROM for information interchange" does
define the order of bits on a CD-ROM and so an image of an ISO
9660:1988 compliant media is called an ISO.

For details see: http://www.iso.org

--
Randall Wood
rhwood at mac.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the rest is just philosophy."