XFS filesystem support in Fedora

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Nov 6 23:03:51 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 07:14:27PM -0300, Fabian Arias wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Mike Burger wrote:
>
> > Are there any plans to include SGI's XFS filesystem support into Fedora's
> > kernels and/or installers?
>
> <imho>
>
> XFS support in 2.4 kernels require too much API rewrite, and don't seem to
> be useful such an effort when 2.6 is out of the door, with vanilla XFS
> support included.

There is currently very little to do kernel wise to get Fedora Core
kernels to run XFS (in fact Fedora Core kernels already _do_ have XFS,
but not XFS 1.3.x).

> > Such support would be incredibly appreciated.
>
> Shure it would, but unpractical (in terms of development I mean) for now
> until a couple of next releases that ships 2.6 kernels.

It would be great if the FC steering committee or whoever is in charge
would decide to add the very little needed hooks to allow for
externaly built xfs kernel modules.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de