adding new packages

David S. Johnson dsjohnson at adelphia.net
Fri Nov 7 16:54:23 UTC 2003

Albert DE WINT wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I installed Fedora Core 1 from ISO's previously downloaded on my
>Mandrake partition.  I did not actually burn the disks. (It's a waste of
>CDROM's)
>
>Now I would like to add some packages.  (I may need some tools and
>libraries to compile an OSS sound module and to have the
>nVidia-installer compile a 3D driver.)
>
>After selecting the packages, the Fedora installer requests to insert
>the 1st CDROM, which obviously I don't have.
>
>Is there a way to install the selected packages from the ISO's,
>previously stored on my Mandrake partition?  Or will I have to burn the
>disks anyway?
>
>Thanks for any assistance.
>
>Albert
>

>--

If you mount the first iso file, e.g. "mount -o loop,ro /mnt/cdrom
/path-to-iso/yarrow-i386-disc1.iso" and read through the README file, it
has directions for creating a directory from the ISOs for an NFS-based
installation.  However, substitute "Fedora" where you find "RedHat"
referenced in the directions.

   "Oh scholar, if your scholarship benefits not Mankind,
    you deserve not admiration but contempt." -- Kahlil Gibran