MP3 support?

Bryan Anderson fedora at bryananderson.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 20:43:57 UTC 2003

I have just installed Fedora Core 1 and there's no mp3 support. I know
about having to install a different version of xmms, as I did try for a
while to use RedHat. Anyway - I have downloaded xmms-1.2.8-1 but if I
try and 'rpm -Uvh' it, it tells me that the installed version is newer
and doesn't install.

If I 'rpm -Uvh --force' it then it installs, but on playing an mp3,
there is no sound and it plays a three minute mp3 in three seconds!

Anyone able to help a real beginner on this issue? A howto on getting
mp3 support in Fedora. (I have installed mgp123 and that plays okay,
but I don't like the app itself - there doesn't appear to be any kind
of UI, and no way to make play-lists, etc).

Bryan Anderson <fedora at bryananderson.co.uk>