Eth0 stuck in 10Mb mode

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Sat Nov 8 00:44:27 UTC 2003

Joseph M Bironas wrote:

>In further weirdness, it looks as if when issuing the mii-tool command,
>that the card is actually changing it's speed and duplex but the app is
>never reporting on the change. Very odd. File transfers remain sluggish
>at best, and the error count on the interface keeps climbing. Any
>suggestions to point me in the direction of effectively debugging this
>are greatly appreciated.

Check /proc/interrrupts and look through the options for "hdparm"
       *WARNING* this could cause problems for your filesystem
                   if your drive/ide-chipset doesn't like these settings.

Setting "hdparm -u1 -d1 -c1 /dev/hda"  for me resolved a lot of file
transfer
problems on some boxes.  Had no effect on others.  Don't really know why
other than that maybe the interrupts for the NIC/ IDE devices were
somehow to fault.???