Yet another BitTorrent Thread

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Nov 8 09:14:37 UTC 2003

At 11:39 11/7/2003, you wrote:
>I've left my bt client running and it has shown around 25KB/s since
>last night.
>
>How do you decide when to shut off your client? Wait for the transfer
>rate to drop? Need more of your DSL line back?

Personally, I find that leaving a BT client running is one of the ways I
can contribute to the community and help my "friends" have a better
experience with RH/F products. I have only a 128 Kbps line, but it's going
to continue providing the 5 KBps I can dish out for at least the next month.

I do, however, shut off the client every so often if I need to send a very
large email or do an outgoing FTP transfer, so it doesn't compete with me.
Then I start it up again.

I would recommend that those people who are not using much of their
outbound bandwidth (and having previously worked for an ISP, I can tell you
that this includes most of us) leave a BT client running for much longer
than "a couple of days." Just leave it on... then if you find it's bugging
you or you need your bandwidth back, kill it if/when necessary.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com