problem upgrading RH9 to fedora core 1

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 8 15:47:39 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 09:11, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 16:06, Franklin R. Jones wrote:
> > I have a fairly new RH9 install (which has run fine for about 4 weeks)
> > that I thought I would attempt an upgrade to Fedora core release 1 on
> > it as a first attempt with this release image.
> >
> > I'm getting an error when it attempts to transfer the install image to
> > the hard drive. States "that you are probably out of disk space".
> >
> > System as a swap partition of 1Gb, monolithic 10Gb / partition with
> > 4Gb free space, and a 200Mb /boot partition with 195Mb free.
> >
> > CD image tests clean.
> >
> > both graphical and text install dies about 75% though copy of install
> > image.
> The same has happened to me.  I also tried the update from Fedora core
> 0.95 and go the same result.  I guess the Fedora team was not interested
> in making sure the upgrade option was working.  This is an obvious thing
> that one should test.  Also, I have seen no reasonable responses from
> anyone regarding this issue!!

It has been made clear many times that upgrades from beta test versions
to final realease are NOT supported.  In this case, if your 0.95 had
been up2date as of the day before release, it probably would have
upgraded OK, not guaranteed.

Upgrades from RHL9 were thoroughly tested during the testing cycle.
That doesn't mean there won't be problems for some installations.  You
do no one a favor by stating  "I guess the Fedora team was not
interested in making sure the upgrade option was working.  This is an
obvious thing that one should test."

Good luck getting a "reasonable response" with that kind of rhetoric.

Gerry