RealPlayer 8 Config

Dalin Laqua dlaqua at telus.net
Sat Nov 8 18:29:53 UTC 2003

Here is what I have done to make RealPlayer 8 work

In /usr/lib/RealPlayer8 do:
mv realplay realplay.orig
vi realplay

In the new realplay file add the following lines:
#!/bin/bash
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.5 /usr/lib/RealPlayer8/realplay.orig $*

Then make realplay executable:
chmod 555 realplay

Now add it to your menu in KDE, Gnome or whatever.  This script with the
$* will handle streaming video from the web, but will give an error when
opening local files.  In my menu I added one Realplayer icon that executes:

LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.5 /usr/lib/RealPlayer8/realplay.orig

which I associated with playing local files.  The second icon executes
realplay %f and handles streaming video requests from konqueor, mozilla,
and opera.

The RealPlayer plugin will be installed in /usr/local/netscape/plugins
and you will need to copy those files to /usr/lib/mozilla1.4.1/plugins.
The plugins will call the new realplay script and should work.  For
Konqueror, Opera, etc.. you will need to add the path to the plugin.

Not sure where I got this from but I found this same info posted for
Redhat 9 many months ago.

Dalin Laqua