Firstboot seems to hang

Chris Heisel chris at heisel.org
Sat Nov 8 20:44:57 UTC 2003

I admit, I'm fairly new to Linux. Other than a brief flirtation with
Mandrake 7 a while ago, I haven't been doing much with Linux in a while.

But, I'm trying to change that with an installation of Fedora Core 1 on
my Dell P4 system in a dual-boot environment...

Anyway, the problem I'm having is that once the installer gets to the
graphical first-time configuration screen (Welcome screen), it freezes
and no keyboard commands work.

After shutting down and turning the machine back on, it boots again
fine, and goes through a list of checks in text mode:
<<<<
Mounting local filesystem [OK]
Enabling local filesystem quotas [OK]
Enabling swap space [OK]
Initializing firewire controller (obci1934) [OK]

Then it just sits there doing nothing (no hard drive light activity...)
a three-fingered salute will cancel the process and restart OK.

After the restart it tries to go through the graphical first-time
routine and freezes.

I tried going through the interactive mode, saying 'y' to everything.

When I say 'y' to enable firstboot that's when it hangs -- no keyboard
or mouse recognition.

I'm not sure what would help diganose this problem, but I did copy down
my boot settings from GRUB
<<<

root (hdo, 7)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi rhgb
initrd /initrd-2.4.221.2115.nptl.img

My system is all standard Dell components... 512 RAM, 40GB HD, P4, SB
Audigy, MS Intellimouse, on-board ethernet, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Chris