A really basic question

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 8 21:55:49 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 14:37, Lox Thomson wrote:
> Thanks Gerry,
>
> Its no surprise that a lot of people would be up at arms over this.  I really
> am.  Mandrake looks better and better.
>
> Anyway, in the link that you sent me to, there is a mention of
> REDHAT-CONFIG-PACKAGES.
>
> Where in KDE would I find this program and be able to fool around.  I want to
> pick which packages to install/uninstall.

Before you try to use it, make sure you have the fix for a bug that
looks for the wrong CD label (redhat instead of fedora).

Jeremy Katz has fixed this already in redhat-config-packages-1.2.7-1.
The new package can be downloaded from

http://people.redhat.com/~katzj/redhat-config-packages/

You will then need to install the new package by using

rpm -Uvh redhat-config-packages-1.2.7-1.noarch.rpm

Then,

Go to System Settings > Add/Remove Applications.  You will see a list of
Package sections and a Details button on the right for each section that
allows you to select packages.

You can also get there from the command line (as root) by
entering

redhat-config-packages &

The program should look for the installed packages on your system and
put check marks by those installed.  You can uninstall by clicking on
the checkmark.  When you are all done selecting/deselecting, click on
Update and the program will proceed to ask you for the appropriate CDs
and install/uninstall the packages.

Good Luck.

Gerry