GDM session switching

Peter Eddy petere at atg.com
Sun Nov 9 15:07:15 UTC 2003

Gerry Tool wrote:

>>Didn't RedHat distributions prompt you to make the current selection the
>>default when you changed it from gdm?  That seems like a more intuitive
>>way to me.
>
> That is the way it used to work.  I'm not sure how RHL9 has it - I'll
> check it there next time I'm in that system.  Give the new way some time
> before you get upset.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound upset. I'm not, really!

I only wanted to make the point that the reason I knew about the swtich
desktop app was because of my previous experience with RedHat
distributions. I don't think new users, or users of other distributions
trying Fedora, would even think to look for it, and I think that this is
a useablity problem which ought to be pointed out.

As a design decision, it seems to be one that favors more advanced users
  (who for some reason need to switch desktops often) and this seems
contrary to the direction RedHat/Fedora has taken with their
progressively easier to use/configure distributions.

Still very happy with Fedora,

Peter