no network connection after upgrade

Martin Bolte mail at silico.net
Sun Nov 9 19:02:50 UTC 2003

i have just upgraded my RH9 to fedora core 1, which worked fine and i
was impressed, because the new system runs much quicker than the old
one.
though there are some problems with connecting to the internet. I use a
modem attached to the usb-port that worked fine for me previously, but
since the upgrade i have two problems.
1. i can't start neat-control any more. it dies giving me the following
lines in the terminal:

[martin at localhost martin]$ neat-control
sys:1: DeprecationWarning: Non-ASCII character '\xc3' in file
/usr/bin/neat-control on line 147, but no encoding declared; see
http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/neat-control", line 34, in ?
    from rhpl.translate import _, N_, textdomain_codeset
ImportError: No module named rhpl.translate
[martin at localhost martin]$

on the mentioned webpage it is stated that i should alter encoding
declarations in source files between utf-8 and latin which i don't
understand as i am not much of a programmer. What is strango to me is
that everything worked before and now is stuck.More strange neat doesn't
produce that problem to me.
Any advice?

martin