Adding new session to gdm

Jose Romildo Malaquias romildo at uber.com.br
Mon Nov 10 00:07:57 UTC 2003

Hello.

I want to add IceWM as a session to GDM. For that I
have added the scriopt /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/IceWM:

# ls -l /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/IceWM
-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root           43 Jun  1  2002 /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/IceWM*

# cat /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/IceWM
#!/bin/sh
exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession IceWM

I have also edited the script /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession,
so that it knows about IceWM:

# grep -A 6 -B 5 IceWM /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
    kde|kde1|kde2)
       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.kde"
       ;;
# icewm start
# automatically added by the icewm rpm package.
    IceWM)
        exec -l /bin/bash -c "/usr/bin/icewm-session"
        ;;
# icewm end
    twm)
        # fall back to twm
       exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.twm"

With Red Hat Linux 9, that was enough for IceWM
to appear as a choice of sessions in GDM, and
it did worked. Now with Fedora Core 1, it does
not work. Simply no IceWM session is presented
in GDM.

What am I missing here? Any clues?

Regards.

Romildo