Minimal installation

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Nov 10 03:53:02 UTC 2003

At 12:14 11/9/2003, Gordon Messmer wrote:

>cd /usr/share/locale
>du -s .
>
>On a workstation install, that directory is 189MB.  glibc-common is 43MB,
>mostly translations.

On my first Fedora install (fairly minimal), /usr/share/locale is 25MB, and
/usr/share/i18n is 8MB. This is on a system installed with only English.

/usr/share/doc, however, is 32MB.

>>"Stripping out" all other languages is, I hope to God, simply not an option.
>
>It's a legitimate option if you do it post-install.  Debian, I believe,
>has a script that strips out unused languages.

Not what I meant... I meant removing them from the installable package set
(stripping them out of an install so that the user couldn't get them if
he/she tried). Once you have your system installed, by all means remove
any/all languages you don't speak or don't want.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com