sound dying - nub question

Scott Burns scott at mirrabooka.com
Mon Nov 10 07:50:20 UTC 2003

ryan wrote:

>hi all...need some newbie help if anyone is keen to help out.
>
>i have an asus a7n8x board with the nforce2 chipset.  fedora core does a
>great job of detecting everything about it and makes most of the onboard
>stuff work by default with no extra config needed.
>
>i have a slight problem with the audio, and hope for guidance in
>troubleshooting.  it just seem to die after an undefined time.  i can
>sit here and stream music thru xmms for hours, walk away for a while,
>and no sound will work when i get back...not even system sounds for
>gnome.  everything works great when i reboot.  there are no 'bad'
>entries in syslog showing anything dying...

Hi,
    Two things come to mind: the screen saver and power management.

    Does the screen saver kick in when you walk away?  Set it to 1
minute and see if you can exit it and still have sound afterwards.

    Does the computer hibernate when you walk away?  I had a compaq a
few months back that would go to sleep after 20 minutes.  It drove me
nuts - I'd ssh in and suddenly, bang, all dead.  Walk up to the machine,
move the mouse, all better and ssh would start working again.  Took me a
few hours to figure that one out.  If your's is doing the same you may
need to remove and then reload modules on wake up.  You will need to ask
someone else, but figuring it out is a good first step.

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899