which Fedora cd contains which rpms?

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 14:13:31 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:53:59AM -0600, Marc Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 03:04, shrek-m at gmx.de wrote:
> > Michael Mansour wrote:
> >
> > > --- Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote: > How

> > >The way I've done this in the part is to use the tool
> > >"whichcd" located at:
> > >
> > >http://sourceforge.net/projects/whichcd
> > >

> > mount cd #1
> > ls -R /mnt/cdrom >fc1-cd1
> > mount cd #2
> > ls -R /mnt/cdrom >fc1-cd2
> > mount cd #3
> > ls -R /mnt/cdrom >fc1-cd3
> >
> > grep -i "whatyousearch" fc1*
> >

> > # grep -i caching fc1-*
> > fc1-cd2:caching-nameserver-7.2-10.noarch.rpm
>
> I've wondered about this myself.  I would think that including an index
> of sorts of all three CDs on cd1 would be trivial.  Taken to another
> level, it could include a little cataloging with descriptions, etc.

Such a list is already on the first CD, Fedora/base/hdlist*.
You just need a smallish utility to dump it in human readable form.
If you just read genhdlist source (in anaconda src.rpm), it really cannot
be hard to write an utility which writes the filenames and CD numbers
to stdout (be it in C or Python).

	Jakub