Installing Gnome desktop via apt-get

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Mon Nov 10 14:15:59 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Jaroslaw Kowalski wrote:

> I've got a minimal install of fedora.
>
> How can I upgrade it to gnome desktop configuration via apt-get?
> Is there any single (meta-)package that I could install, like:
>
> # apt-get install Gnome-Desktop
>
> which would bring up all dependencies. AFAIK RPMs on Debian have similar
> functionality.

There aren't task- like packages on Fedora but you can achieve a similar
functionality with this Lua-script:
http://laiskiainen.org/apt/lua/groupinstall/

Drop the .lua and .py files to /usr/lib/apt/scripts/ and the .conf to
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d and then you can do things like
# apt-get install group-gnome-desktop

The trick here is that it reads the contents of
/usr/share/comps/i386/comps.xml and feeds that to apt. The part after
group- must be a valid group id from comps.xml, sorry but no easy way to
list those is currently available with apt.

Yum has this functionality builtin so no additional scripts required.

	- Panu -