GNOME Settings Daemon Errors (restarted too many times)

Michael Knepher limbo at bluethingy.com
Mon Nov 10 17:38:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 07:15, Robert Brimhall wrote:
> Any clues what would cause the Gnome session/settings daemon errors
> after logging out and trying to log back in? It seems to occur randomly.
> Sometimes after installing an rpm... but sometimes it just happens... It
> is really annoying b/c the only way I've been able to get into GNOME
> without the error once it appears is to reboot.

I think it's an issue with some of the files in /tmp not getting cleared
out properly. I've had a rash of problems with this running the latest
Ximian unstable packages, so it may be an upstream GNOME issue. I
haven't had time to bugzilla it, but deleting files folders owned by my
user in /tmp, such as gconfd-michael and orbit-michael, has helped.