Getting started with package management on fedora

Thomas Frayne tomf at sjpc.org
Mon Nov 10 18:43:45 UTC 2003

Getting started with package management on fedora

I wanted to upgrade the Evolution package that came with my RH9 system,
and decided I needed the Rawhide version.  When I tried to download and
install it, using rpm, I found a maze of RPMs that I couldn't navigate,
so I looked for an improved package manager.  I found and installed Yum
from Rawhide.  I couldn't make it work, and was told that Rawhide was
discontinued, so I started figuring out how to use Yum on Fedora.  I
noticed a note that said that Yum was obsolete, so now I am trying to
determine what package management interface I should use on Fedora.

I would prefer to install the Fedora package manager or Yum on
RH9+Win4Lin, and use it to install just Evolution and its dependencies.
If necessary, I would install the entire Fedora system and Win4Lin.

Questions I didn't see answers for on the Fedora-users archive or
http://fedora.redhat.com/:

What is the name of the package manager user interface on Fedora; where
is a link to its description?
Does it currently have a working GUI?  If so, how can I find it?
Does Yum work on Fedora?  How does Yum compare with the Fedora package
manager?
Can you provide a link to the first documentation on the Fedora package
manager that I should look at?
Should I try to install the Fedora package manager or Yum on
RH9+Win4Lin, and use it to install just Evolution and its dependencies,
or would it be better to install the complete Fedora core 1 release, and
install Win4Lin over that?