segmentation faults galore [was: lightweight window manager]

Steven P. Ulrick spu at faith4miracle.org
Tue Nov 11 00:49:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:48:10 -0500 (EST)
Ingo Molnar <mingo at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>
> > Hello, Everyone :)
> >    I was attracted to the subject line of this thread: "segmentation
> > faults galore"  With me it works this way: I'll compile a program
> > from source code: let's say Krusader, Krename or Juk.  Everything
> > proceeds as normal, and the applications in question work perfectly
> > at first.  But then, I don't know yet what it takes, maybe just a
> > reboot, but then the applications that had run fine maybe a boot
> > ago, now bomb out with only this error message: segmentation fault.
>
> hm, could this be prelink related?
>
> 	Ingo

Hello, Ingo :)
Sometimes I scare myself.  I migrated to Red Hat Linux almost directly
from only knowing Windows 98.  Almost everything I've learned, I've
learned the hard way (I've gotten REALLY good at installing Red Hat.  So
good, it almost makes me cry :))  For the sake of the betterment of
Fedora Core, I reinstalled it (choosing everything), and the first thing
I did was to move "prelink" out of "/etc/cron.daily"  I'll run FC 1 that
way for a few days, to see what happens, and then I'll put it back, to
see if things run amok(?) again.  I'll let you know what happens :)

Steven P. Ulrick