Problems with Kernal header files

Timothy Read tread at lsi.uned.es
Tue Nov 11 14:55:17 UTC 2003

This is really strange...

I have Fedora Core 1.0 installed on my portable (Sony Vaio) and since it
was running fine, I decided to install it on my desktop system (DEll
Dimension 4500). As part of the installation I wanted to install VMWare
4 to have a virtual Windows 2000 installation...

What is really weird is that I have  installed it on the portable  and
it went fine, however, when I try it on the desktop, I get:

 > What is the location of the directory of C header files that match
your running
 > kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]. The path "/usr/src/linux/include"
is not an existing directory.

I check and this is indeed true, there is no directory /usr/src/linux,
so I add correct directory path to the only linux there is in /usr/src
and get the following error:

 >What is the location of the directory of C header files that match
your running
 >kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/include
 >
 >The kernel defined by this directory of header files is
multiprocessor, while
 >your running kernel is uniprocessor.

This is crazy. How comes I get the error on one machine and not the
other - they are both Fedora Core 1.0 installations, and obviously
neither is multiprocessor.

Many thanks,

 Tim Read