Problem building kernel:undefined reference to 'active_load_balence'

David C. Hart dch at TQMcube.com
Tue Nov 11 15:31:18 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 10:12, Damian Donnelly wrote:

> and I get the error:
> kernel.o (.text+0xfc3): In function 'schedule'
> undefined reference to 'active_load_balence'

This is a KNOWN and benign problem with building NPTL kernels. I have
found that it will sometimes go away if you re-run make BzImage.
Strangely, I have also had success by entering make menuconfig, exiting,
saving the unchanged configuration and then rerunning make dep and make
bzImage. Someone else suggested running "make oldconfig" twice.

Supposedly this is only a build issue and not related to the integrity
of the kernel.
                               ---------
            Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence