libcom_err.so.3 question: ahem, a newbie question

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Nov 11 16:53:38 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, Nov 11th 2003 at 08:01 -0800, quoth Globe Trotter:

=>OK, how about the following "fix"? Or is it not a fix?
=>
=>I install the older version of krb5-workstation.... this of course gives
=>me the .so.3. Now I upgrade to the newer version using rpm -Uvh ....will
=>this not keep the old .so.3 and also allow me the newer krb5 stuff which
=>I assume would have the more recent security stuff?
=>
=>Does this make any sense?
=>
=>Thanks!
=>

If you update a new package over an old package using -Uvh then the old
package gets deleted.

If you install a new package over an old package using -ivh and there are
file conflicts then the install will fail.

If you have a package that contains libraries with different filenames
than what is already installed from an older package then you can use the
-ivh trick to have both the old and the new package installed at the same
time with no conflict.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net