Laptop: X Autodetect External monitor and use Higher Resolution

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Wed Nov 12 04:15:55 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 14:09, Lewt @ Linux Warcry wrote:
> Does anyone know if you can set things up where if you plugged up a
> external monitor or dock the laptop it would use a higher resolution on
> the larger monitor and maintain the current resolution on the laptop
> monitor?

Lewt,
A laptop would require dual-headed video to do what you describe. I know
of no laptop that simultaneously supports one resolution on the internal
screen and a higher resolution on an external monitor. Several can do
one or the other, but not both at the same time.
--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL