tulip ethernet driver problems

Trevor Barton tmb at isotek.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 08:19:51 UTC 2003

Chris Hipp wrote:
> I have a Netgear fa310tx rev. 2 chipset ethernet card.  Installation
> automatically configured and loaded the tulip driver for this card.
> However, using this card causes my system to freeze hard (must be reset
> using hardware button.)  So much as pinging my computer kills it.  I
> switched to using the tulip_old driver and stability increased somewhat,
> it doesn't freeze instantly but eventually does.  This card worked
> perfectly in Redhat 9.0.  I have a clean Fedora Core 1 installation.
>
> I need help resolving this problem or gathering more useful debugging
> information.

There is a thread "FC1 pcmcia network card failure" in which I and someone else
have had problems with a Netgear card - a different card and different problem
but the same driver.  This was resolved by removing the graphical boot option by
setting GRAPHICAL=no in /etc/sysconfig/init.  There may be a problem where some
of the memory used by the ethernet card is later reused by X, which in our case
was stopping the card from working.  It's equally possible that that could kill
the machine.  Try that solution and see if it works.

Trev

--
Trevor Barton
Isotek Electronics Ltd., 9 Clayton Wood Bank, Leeds, LS16 6QZ, UK.