Console Mouse Service???

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Nov 12 17:27:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 12:39:11AM +0000, Matheesha wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 03:56, snookertb wrote:
> > I see the same thing. It doesn't seem to have any effect on anything,
> > but it would be nice to know what it is and fix it.
> >
> > tb
> >

> I know of no fix but there seems to be a workaround. It seems like this
> is also something that is kinda resolved by disabling rhgb. Just remove
> the rhgb portion in the grub.conf as been mentioned in a zillion other
> posts.

Correct. it seems gpm is not running and therefore it cannot be stopped.
Whether it is related to rhgb I do not know for sure, but it could very
well be the case, since rhgb is using the mouse,
Some "evidence":

# service gpm status
gpm dead but pid file exists

# grep gpm /var/log/messages
Nov 12 17:21:24 merwede gpm: gpm startup succeeded
Nov 12 17:21:30 merwede gpm[3883]: O0o.oops(): [gpm.c(949)]:
Nov 12 17:21:30 merwede gpm[3883]: mouse initialization failed
(this was during the boot, rhgb was running at that moment)

And yes, there is no mouse functionality on the vc.

Starting gpm after the boot sequence has finished works, and once that
is done, there is no more "FAILED" message in the shutdown sequence.

I've seen this on 2 systems now, both have a microsoft intellimouse
connected through ps/2 in case that helps to track down the problem.
I'll do some more bug-hunting (mouse-hunting ?) later. Plenty of other
types of mice to try...

David Jansen