ReiserFS, WiFI and 3D & DVDs

David Balazic david.balazic at hermes.si
Thu Nov 13 09:53:19 UTC 2003

> ----------
> From: 	Jack Aboutboul[SMTP:jaboutboul at speakeasy.net]
>
> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 17:03, Luis-Miguel Astudillo wrote:
>
> > Why is :
> > ReiserFS, XFS missing from this distro ?
> 	Because its not and because you dont know how to read release notes.
> Boot the Installer and type linux reiserfs or linux xfs.
>
> > 3D is not as supported as in Window$, how come that it is so hard to
> > make it work ?  You buy good laptop or PCs but the only work in VESA
> > mode.
> 	Oh Really? I have a laptop with a radeon 7500 and it works
> flawlessly.
> See this output from glxgears. Thats 3D.
>
> 	4337 frames in 5.0 seconds = 867.400 FPS
> 	9643 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1928.600 FPS
> 	25689 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5137.800 FPS
> 	30501 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6100.200 FPS
> 	30426 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6085.200 FPS

3D support in fedora goes from nonexistent, over pathetic to
acceptable-if-we-close-one-eye.
The best support is for ATI radeon, but only older hardware is supported (
8500/9100/9200 ).
And it is lower performance than other propietary drivers.
And is has display bugs. And stability bugs. And it is missing
functionality, like
compressed textures.
And this the best that there is. It is much worse with other gfx chips.

The only alternative are proprietary drivers from ATI , nVidia , Xi Graphics
etc.

And Luis, ATI does have linux drivers : http://ati.com/support/driver.html

> > WiFi is not well supported either and many companies are demanding
> > it.  Some airlines and airports are moving from horizontal cabling to
> > WiFi.  It simply cost less.
>
> 	Bullshit. I have an prism 2.5 internal card and it works and was
> easily
> configurable through even gui tools.

Some WiFi hardware is supported, other isn't. Try and see.

> > How come DVDs are not accessible by XINE and other Media Players ?
> > Why is the copyright an issue ?
>
> 	How come I'm watching Pearl Jam Live at the Garden DVD on my laptop
> right now using mplayer?

Because you installed 3rd party packages ?

> > Any backup tools with your distro ?  didn't have time to go around the
> > packages.
> 	yes. go around the packages.
> >
> > Tonight I'll be showing it (Fedora) at out Linux group and will see
> > their reaction.
> 	Good. Everyone should see this distro, its the best.

I'm not claiming it is bad, just let's not kid ourselves ( and others ) that
it is perfect or something...