Wireless LAN/PCMCIA Config Question

James L. Reese jim at hosemore.net
Thu Nov 13 12:26:35 UTC 2003

I'm not sure if this is a pcmcia or a network scripts question...

I have a Dell laptop with the internal 802.11 wireless card.  This is a mini-PCI card, but it gets handled by the PCMCIA stack.  Under RH9, the card would remember the last location it was configured for and at boot, if you were in range of that network, the interface would come up without user intervention.

Now that I've upgraded to fedora, at boot the OS seems to re-configure the wireless card to the first configuration in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory.  I don't know if this is being done by the pcmcia stack or if it is being done by the network scripts.

Everything works fine, but I want to understand the difference from RH9.  Before I spend a lot of time hacking, has anyone else seen this?  Any clues whether this is a pcmcia issue or network scripts?

-----

Jim Reese, WD5IYT   jim at hosemore.net   http://www.speakeasy.net/~jreese