Laptop: X Autodetect External monitor and use Higher Resolution

Izak Fourie izakf at cvs.co.za
Thu Nov 13 16:05:57 UTC 2003

John Hodrien wrote:

>>On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 14:09, Lewt @ Linux Warcry wrote:
>>

>>>Does anyone know if you can set things up where if you plugged up a
>>>external monitor or dock the laptop it would use a higher resolution on
>>>the larger monitor and maintain the current resolution on the laptop
>>>monitor?
>>>

>>Lewt,
>>A laptop would require dual-headed video to do what you describe. I know
>>of no laptop that simultaneously supports one resolution on the internal
>>screen and a higher resolution on an external monitor. Several can do
>>one or the other, but not both at the same time.

I am using a HP/Compaq nx9010 with my laptop (internal) display set at
1024x768 and my external display
set at 1280x1024... They are however not mirrors of each other, i.e. I
have dual head display with independant
desktops on each screen (or Xinerama)... I don't know if you can
"mirror" your desktop on different
monitors at different resolutions...